Thursday, September 01, 2005

DYE RETREAT


It was hot, dusty, lots of bugs but we had such a great time. My niece, Ansley, and I went to a dye camp put on by the Griffin Dyeworks this past weekend. I spent the entire time, spinning, knitting, dyeing, learning new things and making new friends. There were lots of people with great skills to share, many informal classes and evenings spent spinning with other spinners outside under the canopies. I learned Japanese braiding from one and Navajo plying from another. The picture is the graduated roving that I dyed and when it is spun will Navajo ply to retain the color variations. Ansley did some tie dyeing and learned to spin with a drop spindle. I was brave enough to try spinning a merino/silk blend and after a slow start, think that I actually may be able to do this and the Nancy Flynn roving I bought at FiberFest will not languish forever in the stash. I also came home with renewed enthusiasm to get busy and start handpainting roving here at home. More to follow...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home